Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Its been six months.

Its been six months.

Six, six whole months.

182.5 days...

Since I last blogged about my babes.

...

I remember when I posted weekly updates during Eli's pregnancy and a co-worker told me that there was no way I would be able to do that with my second child. I also remember thinking, yes, yes I will. Now I realize that my co-worker was just trying to help me lower my expectation.  They had been there.  They had done the second child thing.  They knew it was hard.  I hadn't even done the first child thing. I had no idea.

In the beginning when Ellie was born, I tried hard to keep up with blogging -- mostly for me, more than any audience and, lets be honest even Eli and Ellie.  Sure, I hope they will look at it someday but I know that it means more to me than anyone else. Documenting their little lives made me feel good about myself. Something I could start and finish.  Something that meant something. Something I needed as a stay-at-home-mom; I used to be able to get creative in my teaching and my esteem would soar when I knew my students liked a lesson and were learning.  Don't get me wrong, Eli and Ellie fill up my love tank in a thousand different ways but this blog has given me a sense of accomplishment.

Six months without posting here -- in my special space -- gives me anxiety and makes me kind of sad.  Each month that has passed my heart would skip a beat I would think I need to post, I need to post soon.  Surely I can get to the computer tomorrow, or maybe early next week?  I'll do two monthly posts this month. Three. Four. Five. Oh no, its time for Eli's 3 year post. Another month has gone by?? How is this so??

Six.  

I guess life happened.  My crazy, hectic life.  Not the life I imagined it would be before it really happened.  The house sparkling clean, healthy dinners happily made, perfectly mannered tantrum-less kids (who can read by the time they are three because I have all the time in the world to teach them), working out smoking-hot mama of two kind of life.  Ya, not that life.  Ha!  It goes more like this: toy-littered and laundry piled high house, on-the-go thank you Chick-fil-a dinners, fit throwing and I want it NOW kids (who are the sweetest beings on earth, but still), its time to buy the next size up in the jeans department and if its a good day I blow dry my hair, change out of sweats and roll some mascara on my lashes mama of two kind of life.


So, six months what can I count for you?

2 crazy road trips to see friends.
2 fun kid birthday parties.
1 beautiful baby blessing.
1 TN family reunion
1 doggy death :(
1 30th birthday -- eek!!

And a million different memories topped with hugs and kisses from the two most precious gifts God has ever given me.

That's my life.  Sometimes I wish I could just take a few hours here or there to blog.  And, I could. Really  I could.  I just don't.  I see the mess in the kitchen.  I see the laundry creeping its way into the hall.  I see little faces that need to be wiped.  More than that I hear Eli pleading with me to play super heroes with him, "Mom you be Iron Man and me be Spider Man."  I hear the yearn in Ellie's cries telling me to come explore the world with her.  These mama ears are hard to mute and most of the time they listen.  And after we play and we explore I try (try is the key word) to clean up the house and make dinner and pray that Mike gets home soon.

And the truth is, when the day is done I am just too tired to blog (or, at least it feels that way).

But today both my kids took considerable naps at the SAME time.  That hasn't happened for hmmm... maybe six months?  :)

Oh, I spoke too soon #2 is crying. g2g!

Xo,

Ali

3 comments:

  1. I love you Ali! We seriously have 5 million and one things in common!!!! Right now our babies just need US--not the perfectly documented life, but the Mommas who want to make even more memories with them! I feel like a failure with my own blog but here and there I love the chance getting to update and keep track of all the sweet little things they do/say! It sure
    Is hard work though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps keep up the good work ;) you got this momma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this Alison! I felt bad about letting the blog die while Liv was in her crazy first year, other than monthly photo updates... But life happened- you're so right! At some point recently, I woke up and the crazy tired fog had lifted... And I finally feel like me again! Someday we'll look back and laugh at how insane/amazing the little years were! Somedays, I just want to survive them! :)

    ReplyDelete