Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Week 33: The GRADUAL DECLINING Week -- 4.28 - 5.4

As you can tell from the title of this post week 33 started off fairly normal and ended pretty terribly.  Mike and I started off the week with our tour of St. Luke's East Maternity Unit.  I really, really like what they have to offer, especially in terms of their baby 1st program -- in which the baby stays with the mother at all times unless there is some medical complication.  Mike liked the fact that his sleeping arrangements would be much more pleasant this time around.  (He found out just how comfortable at the end of the week during our two day hospital stay there.)  Middle of the week was fun for Eli -- we went to Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead in KS and Paradise Park for the PaT event.

Eli feeding the baby goats a bottle at Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead -- notice we are in shorts, YAY for spring!!!


Then on Thursday, I woke up feeling a lot of pelvic pressure as well as the typical uti symptoms (not being able to pee a lot yet constantly feeling like I have to go).  We had an ultrasound early that morning and baby looked great!  However, when I met with the doctor she said that I had blood in my urine and that they would be sending a culture out and to expect the results in 48 hours -- or Monday.  The pressure continued throughout Thursday and Friday and I tried to ignore it on Saturday because Mike and I wanted to dedicate the weekend to Eli but on Saturday night when we went to my parents for dinner I was miserable to say the least.  I even took a bath there to see if that would relieve some of my symptoms but to no avail.  After dinner I started having some fairly uncomfortable pain in my right mid back.  Immediately I thought that it could be my kidney but Mike thought I had just strained a muscle in my back while maneuvering myself in the bath.  The pain continued to get worse so we left for home and it was a very uncomfortable car ride to say the least.  Finally around 9:30 the pain was so bad that I told Mike we needed to go the hospital.  I called my dear, dear neighbor, Jennifer, and she came to our house to watch over things while Eli slept until my mother got there.  Bless her heart and bless my mother's too (who ended up staying with Eli for two nights).

I called my doctor and she said that even though my symptoms weren't necessary labor related that to go to Labor and Delivery and get checked out.  So we did and it was awful.  We had to wait in the antepartum room for a long time before anyone came in and the pain was killing me.  The hooked me up to monitor baby who was doing fine and did another urine culture.  Finally around midnight I was wheeled to the ER to investigate what was causing my back pain.

For the rest of the story read next week's post "The GRADUAL INCLINING Week."  :)

Baby Milestones this Week: Week 33: Ellie may grow up to a full inch this week alone, and her brain is developing like crazy. Pretty soon, she'll be able to coordinate breathing with sucking and swallowing. Also, her bones are hardening, and she's started to keep her eyes open when she's awake.


Best Moment of the Week: Definitely seeing Ellie in the belly!  Thursday's u/s is probably our last u/s ever -- it is bittersweet.  (With 2 children, I think we had a total 15 u/s's)  She was moving around, opening and closing her mouth, kicking and punching.  This time you could tell she has some chubby cheeks -- just like her older brother did!  Also, the u/s tech showed us all of the hair she has!  It is amazing -- looks like a little mop on her head!  (What color will her hair be though?  I've been told that both parents have to have the red hair gene and obviously Mike does, but, neither of my parents can think of any red heads in their families, so maybe we will get another blondie like Eli?)  At 32w 5d she weighs 4lb 13 oz -- about 5 days ahead of schedule.  Her older brother weighed 5lb 13oz at 33w 3d, so I am glad she is 1lb smaller than he was and hope she stays that way till birth.  Anything to shorten the pushing/recovery time!  Best of all, all of her organs still look great -- thank you Lord for blessing us with a healthy baby! 

These frontal pictures are always a little freaky but you can see her chubby cheeks!  Love her!

This is her foot and hand pressing against my uterus!  

Obsessions this Week: Cleaning and organizing and a small dabble of decorating.

Symptoms this Week: Increasing "all-the-time" discomfort.  

Epiphany this Week: Eli and I were really active this week -- going here and there.  It is hard to travel with one child.  Plus, I am not that organized of a person and am usually frantically putting a snack/drink together for him and praying there are diapers in the bag before we are out the door.  I hope, and pray, that God may give me the motivation to do better with two kids because I know traveling with two isn't going to be any easier than it is with one -- in fact, I know it will be much, much more difficult.  That is my epiphany this week.

What I'm looking forward to most next week:  Pain relief.

33 Week Belly Pics:
May and still in a maternity sweater!  Shorts, sweaters, shorts, sweaters -- this explains our spring so far!


With Eli -- July 2011


I am so thankful for all of the "internet" support I get from this blog.  I don't get many comments but so many people will ask about how things are going from what they have read in a certain post.  Thank you for taking the time to be a part of our crazy life.  I should be writing week 34 very soon to catch up!

Hugs and Kisses,

Ali

1 comment:

  1. Alison, You look so cute! Not much longer before the little girl is here. Love your blog. Hope next week is much better for you. Love Ya, Deb

    ReplyDelete