Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Week 29: The LOL Week -- 3.31 - 4.6

Well, as you can guess I did a lot of laughing this week.  I don't think I've laughed as much or as hard in such a short period of time in, well... ever.  And, due to my over-sized uterus, I peed my pants almost every day this week.  TMI, but no joke.  Laughing so hard you can barely breath and the third trimester don't mesh well for my underwear. :)  My urinary competence never fully returned after I birthed Eli but now it is horrible!  Seriously, I may have buy myself some Depends! : /

So, why was I ha ha-ing so much this week?  My dear friend Mary Beth came from WA to visit and we kept each other entertained with stories of our past and present.  I was telling her hubby how good of a time we were having and I mentioned how there is such a special bond between childhood friends.  You spend so much time together, you grow up together, you have all kinds of "1sts" together.  They are also the kind of friends that you can go a while with out talking to and when you get together it is like you never, ever left each other.  I am so glad MB is still an important part of my life and I already miss her terribly.  I so wish all my best friends could live right across the street from me!  But, such is life and I will survive on phone calls and FB pictures until we meet again.  

I do hope and pray that my kids experience life-long friendships. 

MB is on the left, I am in the middle and my another on of my BFFs, Katrina, is in on the right.  4th grade.  1994.

We were playing around with facial masks  at a sleep over :)

Sophomore's in HS. 2001.  


Today! 2013
We also celebrated Easter this week!  Eli went on his first egg hunt!



Baby Milestones this Week: Baby girl's energy is surging, thanks to white fat depositing beneath her skin. And since she's growing so fast (weight may triple by birth), things are getting kind of cramped in the womb. What all this means for me: more kicks and jabs to the ribs.


Best Moment of the Week:  A small celebration for baby girl.  :) Just what I wanted!  Before coming to MO, Mary Beth contacted my mom wondering if we could do a little something to celebrate the soon arrival of Baby Girl Stephens while she was here.  She wanted it to be a surprise, too.  How sweet.  My mother and sister worked on putting together a little sprinkle but with sickness and short notice many couldn't come so we canceled it.  But, Mary Beth, my mom and I still had a special hour to celebrate my little girl -- equipped with food, cake and presents!  We had a wonderful time and I know when our daughter looks at the pictures she will feel special! 

Thanks to my mom and MB for putting this together for me!


AND

Thursday's 28wk 5d ultrasound.  Guess what?!?  The once tennis ball sized blot clot that shared a uterus with my baby girl is now.... JUST SCAR TISSUE!!!  What a miracle!  Praise God!  All glory be to Him!  Thank you so much for praying for us during our SCH journey!  It was quite the roller coaster.  But, I have to tell you that even though I did my share of worrying -- I always felt a simple peace.  It is almost like I KNEW this would be the outcome.  

Mary Beth was able to attend the u/s as well!  What a special treat!  Mike came too but he wasn't feeling well at all.  It was fun to watch her wiggle around in my womb and show off her fingers and toes!  We saw her swallow and blink.  All of her organs look perfect!  She is now head down which I was hoping for.  She also has moved into the 51st% for weight and is measuring one day behind schedule -- she always has.  I think her due date is more like of a June 23rd rather than 22nd.

However, due to 2 Group B Strep (a common bacteria that lives in your digestive and reproductive tracks) UTI's, my doctor and I think it is best to schedule an induction at 39 weeks.  The reasoning is that GBS, although a harmless bacteria to adults, can be severely debilitating and even fatal to infants.  So, if you have GBS (30% of adults do) and are pregnant the protocol is to have intravenous penicillin for at least 4 hours prior to giving birth.  This ensures that the vaginal canal is GBS free which lessens the likelihood of the infant contracting the fatal bacteria from 1 in 200 to 1 in 4,000 and in my case -- due to the bacteria being "heavily colonized" (in my urine) -- from 1 in 8 to 1 in 4,000.  Since, I was induced with Eli I have no idea how fast my body naturally goes into labor and additionally, 2nd labors usually go quicker than 1sts do so it makes sense for me to be induced.  That way we can make sure that I get the 4 hours of penicillin no matter what.  I much prefer a 1 in 4,000 chance to a 1 in 8 chance of  my child contracting a potentially deadly bacteria from me.  So, even though I would like to go into labor naturally, I think I'll be induced.  Which means....  we are looking at a June 14th-15th birthday. :)

Due to the having a SCH in the second trimester, Mike and I will get to see our baby girl once again in 4 weeks!  :)  We had at least 7 u/s's with Eli and this next one will make 6 for baby girl.  Crazy, huh?  Pregnancy and me just don't mix well I guess!



Obsessions this Week: Reminiscing about our "school days" (are we really old enough to say this?!?!) with MB.  

Symptoms this Week:  Increased dizziness.  Talked to my OB about this and she said to be careful when sitting and standing up.  She has had patients faint and said usually it happens when getting up from the toilet.  That wouldn't be fun at all.  

It is becoming more and more difficult to get comfortable at night.  It is even becoming hard to roll myself over.  Really?  I have 2.5 months left!

Epiphany this Week:  I ran into a friend at Chick-fil-a and she asked how my pregnancy was going and told her that it was going well and shared how I was so happy that the baby was a girl and that she would complete our family.  My friend, and many others lately, said, "Well, never say never, that is what I thought too!"  I guess she is right and you truly never know what God has in store for you, but I am almost positive that...

This is it.  

Meaning, I am 99.9% sure I will never be pregnant again.  Kind of bitter sweet.  Growing up and even in my adulthood I have always imagined having a family with AT LEAST four children.  I love big families. Both of my parents come from fairly big families and the abundance of relatives made family get-togethers that much more fun!  Several of my good friends also come from big families and it is so cool to see how close they are to their siblings today.  However, Mike has had a different vision of his future family and has been pretty adamant about having just two children.  He is much more practical than I am.  Fortunately for him, I think he is going to "win" when it comes to how many kids we will have.  Like I said earlier, pregnancy and me just don't mix very well and, to be honest, I don't want to go through it again.   Especially the worrying part.  SCH's tend to happen in subsequent pregnancies and I don't know if I could keep my sanity going through another blood clot ridden pregnancy.  

So, Mike and I have decided this is it.

This was my last positive pregnancy test.  This was my last crazy exhausting first trimester.  This was my last energy-boosting, belly growing second trimester.  This will be the last time I can complain about how horribly uncomfortable the third trimester is to my husband.  This will be the last time I write weekly pregnancy updates.  This will be the last time I take belly bump pictures.  This will be the last time I will feel another human being move around inside of me.  This will be the last time I will hold my child in my arms while holding another one in my belly.  This will be the last time I give birth to my child.  This will be the last time one moment will change my life forever -- and I will love someone so deeply and completely the very first time I see her.  

Bitter sweet. 

This is it.

She completes us.  

(But, never say never!)  :)  <-- I left that in for Mike.  

What I'm looking forward to most next week: Further progress with the basement.  The carpeting has been transferred, the built-ins are nearly complete, the dry wall has been repaired...  And, alas, it is time for painting!  I can't wait to see the final product.  I think we should be there in a couple of weeks!  Yay!

What is different this time around?  Last time at 29 weeks it was the middle of the summer and I enjoyed being outside and in the pool.  It is now just the beginning of spring and we are just starting to see some decent weather in Missouri.  I also didn't have a toddler to keep entertained while in my third trimester so I was able to rest a whole lot more often.

To do list: (red is new)

*Decide on a name -- we are getting closer -- If you asked Mike, he would say Ellie Grace. I'm liking Emma more and more...
*Buy:
nursery furniture -- It is Mike and I's goal to order some furniture this week, his parents have offered to AGAIN pay for this!  SO-O thankful!!!
nursing tanks
pacifiers, diapers, etc
video monitor - bought from a woman in my neighborhood.  Great deal! Should have mentioned that my mother bought this for us -- thank you!
I really want to get an Ergo baby carrier but we shall see
*Decorate the nursery
*Finish basement remodel -- Getting closer!  Mike is almost done building the built-in and carpet and dry wall people can come this week!  Then, we still have A LOT of painting to do but nothing too big.  I think we should be done in about a month!  :)
*Sew a new cover for the glider and ottoman -- I've asked my mother to do this and she happily obliged!
*Look into maternity and newborn photography
*Schedule a hospital visit for mid-April -- need to get on this ASAP
* Organize the garage
* Get the car detailed but not too soon!
* Have a little weekend getaway (in KC) with Mike.  It will probably only be one night but  we need it!  

Week 29 Belly Pics:

A different view.

With Eli -- July 2011.

10 weeks people!  She will be here before we know it!

XO, 

Alison

P.S.  A cute picture of Eli in John Deere Tractor PJ's that Mary Beth gave him!


No comments:

Post a Comment