Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Week 19: The SLOW Week -- 1.20 - 1.26

I've titled this week the "slow" week because time sure seems to be dragging.  I hate to wish the next five months away but its hard not to.  I'm not constantly worrying like I was when I first found out about the SCH, thank God.  But, I'm still struggling with the fact that something could go wrong.  (When I first was diagnosed I read too many horror stories of women going into labor between 18 and 24 weeks due to their clot either 1.) rupturing their membranes 2.) causing a placental abruption or 3.) irritating the uterus enough to cause labor.  These poor women delivered perfect babies who had no chance of living outside of their mother's womb.  I can't even begin to imagine the pain of stillbirth and pray I never have to -- more importantly my heart breaks for those who have and I pray for them. Even though my Perinatologist ruled these circumstances out due to the size and location of my clot, I wish I would have never read these tragic stories because I can't seem to erase them out of my head). Furthermore, my OB still seemed to worry about PTL which also lingers in my mind as well.  This coupled with my inability to get back into a normal routine -- mostly due to lifting restrictions and the cramping that comes with a fair amount of activity --- as well as the inherent worry wort in me makes my days slow-moving and my weeks seems like months.

On a more positive note, Eli has been so happy lately which definitely helps to make my days more pleasant!  Its truly an answer to prayer.  Poor little guy has struggled with going to sleep, staying asleep and waking up his whole life! He also has been cutting his molars lately which is NO fun at all. But the past week it is like he figured all these things out simultaneously. Yay!  Its the reverse of the saying when God closes a door, He opens a window.  My version: "When God opens a window (SCH\GBS pregnancy), He closes a door (tired, fussy baby)." :) Or you could go with the good old b-i-b-l-e which says God won't give you anything you can't handle.  To which I'd like to say thank you God for knowing how much I can handle.

We also got the chance to eat dinner with our friends Amber and Mike who are expecting twins in August!  I'm so excited for the play dates to come and for our babies to become friends! We had fun talking everything baby and also the dreadful, wow -- our life is really going to change conversation. :)  But, the love that one child brings to your life is amazing -- and they get TWO!  Congratulations guys!

We pretty much have eating out with Eli down to a science now -- youtube on the iphone, sippies of juice, food, books and toys.  He sat in the high chair for 1.5 hours!  Never, ever thought that would happen!  Here he is enthralled with the sugar packets.  Hey, whatever works right?  


Baby Milestones This Week:  Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil, and dead skin cells now coats baby girl's skin, shielding it from the amniotic fluid. (Picture yourself after a nine-month bath, and the need for protection makes sense.)


Best Moment of the Week:

1.)  A really sweet gift came in the mail for sweet girl from my dear friend Shara!

Thank you Shara!!!  Baby girl will look so cute in the little outfits, dresses and bows!

2.) Seeing the pictures of 3 precious babies born on my FB feed
                - a best friend from college had a sweet baby girl
                - my cousins' son and his wife had a sweet baby boy
               - another college friends' sister had a sweet baby girl

Yay for babies!!!  A BIG congrats to all the new mamas out there!!!

Obsessions of the Week:  Thinking about baby girl names.  Two years ago, when we didn't know what we were having yet -- we knew for sure if the baby (Eli) turned out to be a girl her name would be Elisa "Ellie" Angell Stephens. (It was the boy name we had trouble with).  Now, even though we still love the name Ellie we wonder if it is too close to Eli.  So... We've been pondering other names...

Here is our short list:

Hannah Grace Stephens -- biblical name, pretty name
Emma Grace Stephens -- family name, this is also the number one name for like the last 10 years so I'm not so sure I want such a common name but I do love it.

Mike's favorite is still Ellie and my favorite is Natalie but he doesn't like it.

I really love Grace as a middle name because God's grace has been such an important part of Mike and I's life.  Where would we be without it?  Grace is also very pretty.

If I had to guess now -- I think we will go with Emma Grace.

Symptoms of the Week: 
(-) Pelvic pain.  Starting this early???  No, thank you.  But, it does makes sense considering that Eli separated my pelvis bone (symphysis pubis dysfunction) when his head came through it during delivery.  I think I see chiropractic care in my near future. :)

(+) LOTS more baby movement!  I have even felt sweet girl from the outside a few times.  She's a strong little one!  Can't wait for Mike to feel her too!

(+/-) Nesting.  Early, I know.  But considering our circumstances -- if we do go early, the last thing I want is to be in the hospital with my little babe worrying that we have NOTHING ready at home.  So, our first step was to clear out the room that we will use for sweet girls nursery.  We have four bedrooms upstairs -- one for us, one for Eli, one for guests and currently the last bedroom as been our "junk drawer" room.  When we moved we threw all odd things in it -- our office stuff, my teaching stuff, Sammie stuff, High School and College memories, photos and random other things.  Well, now we need it so we had to find a place for all this random stuff.  Took a few hours but we did!  The room is now clear and ready for cute baby furniture, lots of PINK and, most importantly, a sweet baby girl in 5 (please, Lord FIVE) months!

Top = before, bottom = after.  The cradle in the corner is a Bennett Family heirloom that my grandfather made for his grandchildren.  I love that it will be in our baby girls' room!

Look what I found during the clean out process -- this is my best friend and I in 7th grade!  Now, 16 years later we are both pregnant!!!  She is having a little boy and I am having a little girl!!


Epiphany of the Week:  I'm HUGE.  I already so uncomfortable.  I am definitely not looking forward to the next five months as I grow bigger and bigger and more and more cramped.  It totally sucks because I can not exercise to keep my body feeling good.  I went to the gym my entire pregnancy with Eli and it felt so good.  Now, I feel like I am just withering away...  Belly is getting bigger, muscles smaller.  Another joy of SCH pregnancies!  Ha!

What I'm most looking forward to next Week: Reaching the half way point -- 6 more days!  Small steps, right?  My first big goal is to reach 24 weeks which is March 2nd -- that is our viability date.  Then to reach 28 weeks will be a HUGE weight lifted -- at 28 weeks baby has a lot better chance of survival with no long lasting effects of the lungs and other crucial organs.  28 weeks for us will be March 31 (baby is still only 3lbs).  Oh what a glorious day that will be!!!

Week 19 Belly pics:


Grow baby grow!


With Eli


Thanks again for following the 1st chapter in our little girl's life with us!  It is a journey with ups and downs but I think, no BELIEVE, that at the end of this we will have a little miracle to show off!  Your continued prayers mean the world to us!  Love you all,

XO, Ali

1 comment:

  1. Still praying for you Mama! You're so good to keep up so well with blogging! I haven't done much of that lately :( I'm glad out toddlers are giving us a break! Hannah seems pretty content right now too!

    ReplyDelete