Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Monday, January 21, 2013

Week 18: The GOOD NEWS/BAD NEWS Week -- 1.13.13 -1.19.13

This week is designated the "Good News" week for obvious reasons!  We got some very encouraging news at our Perinatologist visit!  For the full scoop, check out:

http://www.mikeandaliplusone.blogspot.com/2013/01/perinatologist-update-on-sch-is-baby.html

Obviously, we aren't completely out of the woods -- especially if you listen to our OB.  But, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and, for the time being, am choosing to stay positive (at least about the SCH).  

Okay, for the "Bad News" part.  I hesitate even writing this because I know God is in control and I feel like writing anything negative in a way is lack of faith.  However, I know God made us intelligent human beings and gave us doctors, and medicine, and yes -- even the internet can be a blessing when used correctly.  Anyways, I found out that a urine specimen of mine was positive for Group Strep B.  Group Strep B (GBS) is a bacteria that lives in everyone's GI tracts but sometimes can travel to a woman's vagina.  About 30% of women test positive (during routine vaginal swab at 36wks) for GBS and have to be put on intravenous antibiotics during labor so that the baby doesn't contract it.  GBS is harmless in adults but can be very detrimental for newborns -- resulting in cerebral palsy, blindness, deafness, and mortality for some.  There is a 1 in 200 chance the baby will contract GBS without medicine and a 1 in 4000 if the receive medicine.  With Eli I tested positive at the routine 36 week appointment and was put on medicine during labor and have a healthy son.  So, you are probably thinking, what is the big deal -- just get the medicine during labor and no worries?  That was my first thought too.  However, when GBS is present in your urine it means that the bacteria is heavily colonized and probably means that I do not have the proper antibodies to fight it off.  It also means that I am at risk of pre-term labor and pre-mature rupture of membranes (as much as 50% more than the average woman).  Can I not catch a break?!?!  What is even worse is that sometimes (when GBS is "heavily colonized") the bacteria spreads to the womb and the baby can catch GBS while in utero.  These cases are rare but happen and the baby will either not be affected and just be a carrier or will die before being born.  Here is a good article on GBS:

http://hcp.obgyn.net/pregnancy-and-birth/content/article/1760982/1977703

If I could be honest for just one moment, I am really struggling.  I pray often and thank God all the time for this baby girl.  BUT, my lack of faith is evident.  I don't know how much more bad news I can handle before I have a mental break down.  I also feel horrible because I know so many people are going through much worse things than this and keep such a positive attitude.  How do they do it?  I wish I could be more like them.  I guess it comes down to trust in the Lord.  Please say a prayer for me, especially for my lack of faith.

On a more positive note, being off bed rest is FAB-U-LOUS!  I had a really fun play date with other mommies in my neighborhood at Chick-fil-a on Wednesday AND our family joined up with our neighbors to check out the new polar bear at the zoo on Saturaday!  


Eli at Chick-fil-a with friends!
Riding the train at the zoo!


Baby Milestones this Week: Baby Girl's become amazingly mobile, passing the hours yawning, hiccupping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking, and swallowing. I can even feel her like little taps in my lower abdomen -- makes me smile every time!




Best Moment of the Week:  Seeing our baby girl again! Our u/s tech told us she would put her life on it that Baby Stephens #2 is a GIRL!  But, even more importantly all of her organs are perfect!  Yay!  Besides, seeing her -- hearing from the Perinatologist that our SCH really poses no threat to the pregnancy was a huge relief.  Our OB has a little bit of a different opinion but it felt good to hear some positive from a doctor!



NO penis is sight!

Profile - won't let me rotate.  Isn't she cute?

Profile with hand


Obsessions of the Week:  Food.  My appetite has really picked up this week!  I've seriously been eating us out of house and home.  You'd think I was a growing teenage boy!  I eat, then I'm still hungry so I eat again and the cycle continues throughout the day!  I am still 2 lbs under my 8 week weight.   

Symptoms this Week:  Continued stuffy nose -- getting a little worse as pregnancy progresses and is definitely the worst at night. 

Epiphany this Week: Not picking up Eli is HARD WORK!  It is easier to pick up your child than to not pick up your child.  He needs to be picked up to get into the car, his crib, his high chair, etc.  Then, what if he just wants to be held?  My parents aren't going to come over as often as I am not going to be on any kind of bed rest but am just trying to take it easy.  Mike and I are going to go buy some toddler step stools today to help.  Any other suggestions?

18 Week Belly Pics:  
A bit bigger, but if you consider the tennis ball hematoma I am also carrying it kind of makes sense!  



With Eli

Please keep praying for baby girl!

XOXO,

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment