Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Week 16: The REALITY CHECK Week -- 12.30.12 - 1.512

The REALITY CHECK Week

I'm calling this week the "reality check" week because at some point we had to just accept what happened to us.  (For, me it was towards the end of the week.)  We are pregnant.  We have a healthy, growing baby.  I have bleeding between my baby's membranes and my uterus.  It may cause me to miscarry or have a still birth -- it may not.  There is nothing I can do except pray and listen to my body when it needs rest.  The rest is out of my control.  This is all hard to swallow but it is my reality and I am owning it.  From now on, I am going to choose to believe the best and accept what happens with the help of God's INFINITE grace.

This week started out as it should, with Mike, Eli and I going to church.  Since we've moved south we haven't attended the church we are members at.  It has been a real bummer because we love the people at Outreach Restoration Branch in Independence, MO.  But it is a 45 minute drive and we have had are best intention to look into churches closer to home -- we just haven't found a place that felt like "home" quite yet. Anyways, I love our church for many reasons but one of the greatest things about it is its ordinances.  One of them is called administration.  This is when to elders of the church "lay" there hands on your head and anoint you with oil while saying a specific prayer over you.  Several places in the bible talk about this but it is not commonly practiced.  I've been administered to since I was a child.  Each time I've felt a special blessing from the Lord.  I was administered to when we found out the Eli had hydronephrosis and we all know how that turned out!  A little miracle that boy is!  You've probably guessed that while we were at church I asked to be administered to and you're right.  Two elders prayed over me and I will tell you that while they were I felt this baby wiggling around inside of me!  At 15w 1d that is pretty impressive.  I like to think of this as God's way of saying to me that everything is going to be okay.  I felt especially blessed and since then I feel like I've been able to somewhat put my mind at peace.  

On 12.31 I talked with my doctor who was very concerned about the size of my hematoma.  It was 6cm -- about 1/2 the size of the baby.  She said that more than likely it was causing my placenta to rupture.  This really freaked me out and I immediately asked for prayers from family, friends and FB.  I can't stay thank you enough for the amazing amount of support (mainly through prayer but also people graciously offering food and help to us) we have received!  We are humbled by how much people care!  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! She also told me that nursing Eli would have no effect on this situation! Yay!  For the first time ever, I'm considering tandem nursing for a while.  Eli struggled so much those few days we were trying to wean.  He really loves his mama's milk.  I love giving it to him.  

Monday was also NYE and we had planned to attend our friends engagement/nye party but with my bed rest and  Mike being sick (he has been fighting a upper respiratory infection for a while but it has really come to a head this week) we decided it was best to stay in.  I think I was in bed by 7:30!  Ha! Happy 2013 to me!  

On Thursday we had a check in appointment with our OB who answered LOTS of questions for me.  We found out the exact dimensions of the hematoma 6x2cm.  Long and skinny.  It isn't connected to the placenta as we first thought -- thank God!  The further away from the placenta -- the better!  Our doctor was cautiously optimistic with us.  And, here is the kicker that made my week (and, quite possibly my year, and quite possibly my life!) I asked if she could tell whether the baby was a boy or a girl.  I expected her to say yes or no  and leave it at that but she went ahead and said -- you're having a little GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She didn't say it like that but that is how I heard it.  I couldn't help but have a huge grin on my face for the rest of the day.  I've been dreaming in pink ever since. 



More about our OB appoint.  She shared with us that I could probably be doing more than I was currently.  I was trying to stay in bed 75% of the time or more.  She said I could go on with "normal" activities but to avoid any heavy lifting, any type of exercise, and to rest often.  Pretty much I need to listen to my body.  I am happy about this because I was getting a little depressed trying to stay down all day.  

We are going to see the perinatologist on 1.17 and I look foward to asking questions then as well.  Obviously we are praying for a complete healing -- that the clot will have totally been absorbed --  but any type of shrinking would be good! 

Baby Milestones this week: Tiny bones forming in baby's ears mean he or she can now pick up our voices. A few more minuscule changes: Eyebrows, lashes, and hair are starting to fill in, and taste buds are forming.



Best Moment of the Week:  If it isn't obvious: Finding out we are having a GIRL.  Sugar. Spice.  Everything Nice!  Could it get any better?  Okay, maybe I am exaggerating here.  I would have been excited for a boy too.  For Eli to have a brother would be really neat.  But, all my life I've dreamed of dressing up and doing my little girl's hair.  All those hours of practicing on barbies is finally going to pay off!  :)

Obsessions of the Week:  Being aware of my body.  I feel the baby at least once a day.  I feel pain often so I try to rest.  Trying my best to listen to what my body is telling me.  It is injured right now and needs to heal.  

Symptoms this Week:  Pain.  I've been feeling a tender pain in my lower right abdomen.  Right where my placenta sits.  Doctor said this is normal, especially because bleeding irritates the uterus. 

Epiphany this Week:  I may not need any maternity clothes because all I've been wearing is sweats.  Ha!  My neighbor gave me the MOST comfortable maternity yoga pants -- shout out to Betsy Warren!  Thank you!  They are heavenly!

What I'm Looking Forward to Next Week:  I'm trying to cherish each moment of this pregnancy.  Especially since it is high risk.  But, I'm looking forward to being able to do a little more around the house.  

What is different this time around? Besides the fact that I have a fatty belly sticking out like I'm twenty weeks instead of 15? It would still be 4 more weeks before we would find out we were having a BOY!  Snakes, snails and puppy dog tails -- that is what has been my world the last 2 years.  Guess it is time for a change!  Poor Mike and his pocket book!  

Week 16 Belly pics:
I can't believe how big I am!  I am at least one month ahead of what I looked like last time around.  Not sure how I feel about this!  I think it is somewhat normal to start showing quicker the second time around but this is ridiculous!  I weigh the exact same -- if that is any condolence to me.


With Eli, still pretty tiny.

 I hope the next several months of pregnancy post are uneventful!  For your sake and mine!  :)

XO,

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment