Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Week 14: The PEACEFUL Week -- 12.16.12 - 12.22.12

*** I am going back in time to write weeks 14 and 15.  I want to, no, desperately need to celebrate each day of this pregnancy -- past, present and future.  In next week's post it will be clear as to why.  Week fourteen will probably be the last truly peaceful week of this pregnancy.  I'll enjoy reminiscing about it here in this post.

*** I am going to try to follow as close as possible the same outline as I did with Eli's pregnancy.  I will also try to compare the two pregnancies.  Something new I want to try is to give each week of the pregnancy I one word synopsis.  This weeks word is peaceful.

The Peaceful Week

A good start to week 14 had Mike and I in KC for his Christmas Party!  It was good to put names to faces and meet all of Mike's co-workers.  Have I ever mentioned I have never met anyone who doesn't like my husband.  He is a pretty charming guy!  Of course, everyone had such wonderful things to say about him.  We enjoyed the food and atmosphere and towards the end of the night I forced Mike to leave.  (Remember I've been going to sleep around 7-8ish for the past two months and 11 felt like I had stayed up all night!)

iphone pic at the party


On December 20th we had first appointment with the OB (It was also the first snow here in KC, so I am happy we were able to make it-- I hate driving in the snow!).  We are seeing a new doctor because we want to deliver at St. Luke's East here in Lee's Summit.  She is young and so far we like what we see.  She has only been practicing medicine for 2 years but I kind of like that.  Someone fresh in the business is sometimes better than someone who has been in it for a number of years.  Her name is Dr. Johanna Finkle. Here is a link to her credentials: 

http://www.rockhillwc.com/physicians/johanna-finkle-md

At our appointment, she did a pretty extensive family history questionnaire with us and asked about our previous pregnancy.  We told her about Eli's hydronephrosis and our big blood/clot scares towards the end of our pregnancy with him.  She said that my bleeds sounded like placental abruptions and I asked if I was likely to have them in this pregnancy -- she said yes (foreshadow of next week).  

She checked my cervix, measured my uterus and listened to the baby's heart beat.  All was perfect.  Big smiles all around!  

Later that day...

Backyard snow fun!


Also this week, Eli and I went to my friend Alyssa's house for a play date with her son Nate.  I still can't believe my little boy is going to be a BIG brother!

Baby Milestones this week:  The baby is now busy with thumb sucking, toe wiggling, (not so cute but equally amazing) making urine, and breathing amniotic fluid as the liver, kidneys, and spleen continue to develop. Lanugo (thin, downy hair) is growing all over his or her body for warmth.



Best Moment of the Week:  Hearing baby's heart beat with Mike.  We heard it at 10 weeks but just for a couple of seconds.  This time it was ultra clear.  God is good.

Obsessions of the Week:  Trying to get back on a schedule! Hoping and praying for somewhat of a normal life again!

Symptoms this Week: 
Downer:  Has nausea just set in?  Isn't that supposed to be a 1st trimester symptom?  I threw up twice this week!  Like 3 days apart.  Once in the morning and once at night.  Hmm?  Hoping this doesn't stick around!

Upper: My 1st trimester symptoms have mostly disappeared!  Praise God! I've been able to get off my lazy bum now that I have my energy back and at my OB appointment I had lost four pounds since week 10.  Yay!  Because I was 5 lbs heavier than my last pregnancy at that time.  Not, like I want to be losing weight when I am pregnant.  But, I really started to balloon!

Epiphany of the Week:  Funny, this is the same as my last pregnancy's 14 week post: Swimming.  I met my dad at Legacy Park so Eli could have some fun splashing around in the children's area and I could swim a few laps.  It was de-light-ful!

What I'm Most Looking Forward to next week:  Christmas!  My first and likely my last Christmas as a pregnant lady!

Biggest difference this time around?  I was already taking complete advantage of my Chiropractor.  I'm so sad because I do NOT have Chiropractic coverage on Mike's insurance.  Boo! Hoo! Hoo!  I LOVE chiropractic care and it did wonders for me in my last pregnancy.  I'm not sure I'll survive this one if I get the terrible pains I got with Eli around 20ish weeks.  We'll see.  We may just have to tap into our savings so I can get some relief.  Also, I was working full time with Eli and now I am a stay-at-home-mom who subs one-two days a week.  Honestly, I get more rest when I am subbing.  Teaching is hard -- subbing (for me) not so much.  A relaxing day in a profession I love!

Week 14 Belly Pics:

Didn't capture a picture this week but I have one for next. :) Trust me the bump was there!  I feel so HUGE this time around!  I feel like I started showing from the moment I found out and it has just gotten bigger, and bigger!

Thanks for following our little babe's pregnancy story!  As always, keep praying!

Xo,

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment