Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Pregnancy #2 -- First Trimester Symptoms 10.18.2012 - 12.15.2012

When I was pregnant with Eli I wrote weekly updates -- complete with a belly bump picture and all -- from week 12 all the way through my pregnancy.  I had a co-worker tell me that there was no way I would be able to do this for my next pregnancy.  And, although I think he was probably right -- being pregnant with a toddler is completely different than being pregnant with no kids -- I am going to try my best.  In fact, I remember thinking during the first trimester with Eli, how am I going to survive this when I have a little one running around?  I was right, I have no idea how I survived.  It was brutal.  I was so tired, no, more like completely exhausted. I could barely get myself out the couch on some days.

So, with out further adieu here is a quick synopsis of weeks 4 -13.

Mike and I found out we were pregnant on 10.18, two days before our 5 year anniversary!  Here is the post that describes that day:

http://www.mikeandaliplusone.blogspot.com/2012/12/mike-and-ali-plus-two-day-we-found-out.html

The bun in the oven. :)


The Symptoms (in order of severity):

Fatigue: Well, like I said above, it was bad.  I'm not even sure if words could adequately describe how insanely tired I was.  The fatigue started around 5 weeks and lasted through the entire 1st trimester, although the worst was over around 10/11 weeks.  I would go to bed immediately after we put Eli down and sleep until he woke up.  Reluctantly, I would drag myself out of bed to care for Eli.  Sounds bad, huh?  I know!  I felt like a loser mom! Right before I found out I was prego, I was on such a great schedule -- even waking up to work out before Eli got up!  That went downhill quickly and completely disappeared soon after.  To say the least, I was pretty depressed for a couple of months because all I wanted to do was sleep and I felt so bad for my little man.  I would try to keep Eli occupied while I sat my lazy bum on the couch.  I'll admit that I even fell asleep a few times while he played next to me.  Thank goodness for naps.  Eli isn't the best napper -- just once a day and for maybe an hour.  But, once he was down so was I and when he woke up I wanted to literally cry because my bed felt so good.  Poor Mike, don't think I did a load of laundry for a month.  Our house was definitely out of shape.  But, alas, we all survived and now I am back to a load of laundry a day.  :)

My favorite part of the day.


Head aches: I do not remember this from my first pregnancy.  But it is no fun!!! At least once a day I am bombarded with this terrible throbbing pain in my head.  Extra strength Tylenol helps and so does drink lots of water -- but they still linger and sometimes it is hard for me to fall asleep.

Light-headedness: This symptom I vaguely remember from my first pregnancy.  I feel light headed especially after I get out of the shower in the morning. I've figured out that I need to eat before I shower.

Heartburn:  I had hb when I was pregnant with Eli but it didn't hit me until late in the second trimester.  This time I had it right away.  Like, week 5.  There was about a two week span in which I couldn't lay down flat while sleeping.  Well, I could when I went to sleep and then in the middle of the night I would get this horrible pain in my chest and throat.  I took tums and drank some water and propped myself up with plenty of pillows and eventually fell back asleep   Luckily, I haven't had this symptom for a month or so; praying it stays that way!!!

Stuffy nose: This has been ultra annoying!  I wake up every night with huge dried up boogers in my nose. (tmi, I know).  I have to get up and get rid of them before I can have a peaceful nights sleep.

Peeing, peeing all the time! It is worst at night when you really don't want to get up to go but you know if you don't the feeling in your bladder won't go away.

Lack of good night time sleep: I guess this has to do with the increased amount of progesterone your body make during pregnancy.  Sleep was so necessary and I could fall asleep in an instant but staying asleep was really hard!  :(

Nausea: I have had bouts of feeling like I am going to throw up and it has brought me to gagging a couple of times, especially in the morning but nothing to extreme.  (I did finally throw up a couple of times but after 13 weeks.)

Super smell: This symptom would have been at the top of my list during my first pregnancy but not so much with this one.  I do have an increased sense of smell but not even close to what I had when Eli was cooking. I do gag pretty much every time I have to change a poopy diaper.  This is when Mike comes in handy.  On the weekends he has poopy diaper duty all weekend long!

Weight gain:  At 10 weeks I was 5lbs heavier than I was the first time around.  Yikes!  I contribute most of this due to my amazing couch sitting skills the first couple of months and my lack of any food aversions (which would have also been at the top of my  list in P#1).

Here is a list of my first pregnancy to compare:

Downs:
1. EXTREME exhaustion.  People tell you how terribly exhausted you will be in your first trimester but I don't think anyone can prepare you for it!  Wow!  I could barely get myself off the couch from the 6th-10th weeks.  It got me really depressed because our house started to look like a tornado had run through it!  Thank God I have my energy back!
2. Food aversions.  Meat?  No way!  Vegetables?  Yuk!  Seriously, for a few weeks all I had for dinner was McDonald's smoothies.  Thank goodness for prenatals because there is no way I was getting all of the vitamins I needed to grow tiny organs!  :)
3. Bloodhound nose.  I could smell anything -- and most smells made me gag!  I couldn't even wear perfume.
4. Keeping the secret!  When you are so excited about having a baby you want to shout it from the roof tops, but, we decided to wait until the end of the first trimester just to make sure.  This was really hard to do!
5. Tight pants.  Enough said.  :(


On a more positive note, we survived the first trimester unscathed and most of these symptoms have dramatically decreased!  Hallelujah!

I am writing this at 15 weeks.  Now we have a whole new set of complications to worry about with my SCH.  We are trying to stay positive and I have another doctors appointment today and a scan on January 17th with the Perinatologist.

As, always prayers appreciated!

XO,
Alison


2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I've been there with this, as you've read, and if you go back far enough, I wrote some pretty honest stuff about how I mentally fared. It was tough, and it can't all be smiles and sunshine, but when it comes to it, positive thoughts is the only thing that helped me.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting and sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete