Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Prayers Needed for our Little Babe

Disclaimer: Probably shouldn't read if you are pregnant and tend to worry.  Most people choose to keep these kinds of things between themselves and close relatives and friends but I believe the more prayers the better!  And, we need them!  

Mike and I are asking for all of our prayer warrior friends and family out there to say a prayer for our little  babe.  It is amazing how things like this can make your realize how much you already love your 14 week 4 day -- 4.5 inch -- 2.5 oz baby who we got to see for the first time today.

At 4 am I woke up to a fair-sized pool of blood and, of course, my first thought was that I was likely having a miscarriage.  Mike and I prayed; I called my doctor who told me to go to the ER.  I continued to bleed.  We woke Eli up and headed to St. Luke's East.  I was examined and told that my cervix was closed -- which is a good sign.  They did a sonogram and the baby was moving around and had a heart beat of 146.  As you can imagine, I was thrilled to hear the heart beat and see our little miracle.  They sent me home with a diagnoses of a "threatened miscarriage," and told me I had a 50/50 percent chance of miscarrying.  I was discharged with the instructions to call my doctor when their office opened.

This afternoon we went to see my doctor who said that the ultrasound results looked perfect for where I am at in the pregnancy.  However, she said that with the amount of bleeding I had, coupled with how far along I am in my pregnancy -- just entered the 2nd trimester -- it is very concerning.  She said that I should prepare for a possible miscarriage.  She also said that in her whole practice she has never seen anyone with heavy bleeding in their 14th week make it to full term.  Usually the babies are born preterm with complications, if not a miscarriage sometime between now and week 24.  She continued that if I make it to week 24 -- 2.5 months from now -- that there is a chance of helping the baby.  But, if the bleeding continues -- which is likely -- and I start to contract with pain that there will be nothing they can do but deliver a baby who has no chance of living but a very short while (minutes to hours).  This information was a huge blow and I almost broke down in the examination room.

There are three possible causes to the bleeding -- in order of likeliness:

1. Subchorionic Hematoma
2. Placenta Abruption
3. Placenta Previa -- she feels this is very unlikely due to the ultrasound

Doctors orders were to stay calm, rest often, keep to limited activity, etc -- pretty much "modified bed rest."  As you can imagine, my anxiety is through the roof as I am trying to digest this information.  However, God is so good and I know His will is purposeful!  Mike and I said a prayer on our way home from the doctors and God extended a few minutes of His perfect peace to me.

God answered our prayers when we found out about Eli's Hydronephrosis at 20 weeks gestation.  God answers prayers.  He listens to us and loves us more than we can imagine!  He has the power to heal this pregnancy and grow this baby to full term -- we know that and that is what we are asking for.  Please join us in that prayer!  Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Patti Bowerman JobeDecember 26, 2012 at 6:20 PM

    so sorry to hear of your worries--God bless you and baby, praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali, your faith is such an inspiring thing! I am praying for your little family. God's are always perfect. I can't wait to meet this child!

    Love each of you :)
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali, Mike and Eli - you are in my thoughts and prayers...let God's will flow over you.

    ReplyDelete