Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Monday, December 31, 2012

Mike and Ali plus TWO: The day we found out.

10.18.2012

I was completely shocked as I gazed down at the second line on my pregnancy test!  Whoa! Wait, this isn't supposed to happen the first time trying! Or, is it? With Eli it took 7 months to get pregnant, which I know seems like a short time to some but to me it felt like an eternity. Everywhere I looked I saw pregnant people and babies.  I prayed and prayed for that second line.  Then in early January 2011 -- I got it! Looking back, I know it was God's timing. And, the extra time allowed for me to teach another year and for Mike and I to get out of student loan debt.

Mike and I had decided that since it took 7 months to get pregnant with Eli we would start trying around his first birthday for baby Stephens #2. Ideally, it would take a few months to get pregnant and our children would be 2 years apart in age (we always wanted to have our kids close in age; they will be 21 months apart). We didn't think for one moment that we would get pregnant are on our first try! I am not even sure what made me take a pregnancy test on the morning of October 18th.  I guess I had somewhat of an inkling. I took the test before I got into the shower. At first I thought the test was negative. I took my shower and when I got out I grabbed the test to throw it away.  I look down at it once more and couldn't believe what I saw. There was a faint, and I mean faint, second line!  But, holy moly, it doesn't matter how faint the line is as  long as it was there -I was pregnant!  I said a quick prayer and thanksgiving and safekeeping and then spent the rest of my day trying to find a creative way to tell Mike -- who had already left for work -- the good news. I didn't tell anyone except for Eli (who did a great job keeping the secret!) until after Mike knew.

Evidence of Baby Stephens #2 on a stick!  Like I said, it is faint but it is there!

After much deliberation, I decided to tell Mike on the phone that our oven was making a funny noise.  I put a hamburger bun on a piece of my great grandma's China and slipped it into the oven.  I patiently waited for Mike to arrive home from work.  It was so hard to not say anything all day!  And, he came home late -- which made it that much worse.  Finally, he arrived home.  He picked up Eli and started to play with him.  I quickly reminded him of our "oven problem" and ask him to check it out.  He started to listen for the noise and I told him to open up the door and check inside.  He did.  He literally took the bun out of the oven and set it on the counter to continue to inspect the oven!  Ha!  Totally Mike -- problem solver extraordinaire!  I recorded this all  on my iphone and started to giggle.  Eventually I said, "You don't get it do you?"  Mike said, "Get what?"  Looked at the plate with the bun and said, "Bun in the oven??? -- You're pregnant?!?!"  I said, "Yes!"

I uploaded the video to youtube and called my parents to watch.  We sent it to Mike's parents and both of our siblings.  Everyone was so excited for us!  It truly was one of the best days!  I can't believe we'll be welcoming another one of God's precious children into the world in June!  We are praying for you daily little one!  Can't wait to meet you!

Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akps6v2__Wk

Mike and I two days after we found out -- celebrating our 5th anniversary and our expectant child!  

2 comments:

  1. I am not sure where you are getting your information, but good
    topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.

    Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this info for my mission.


    Stop by my web blog - weight loss plans

    ReplyDelete