Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Thirty Eight Weeks 8.31 - 9.6

My first weekly post in a while.  I want everyone to know that I'm so dedicated to documenting this pregnancy that I'm writing this blog post while laying on my side because sitting up on the couch is no longer an option -- too dang uncomfortable.  (Really there isn't many positions left in which I feel comfortable in and laying on my side is definitely the best option).  Dedication isn't the only reason I am writing this post tonight; I'm worried that if I don't write one soon I might not get a chance to.  Will Eli wait until his due date or come earlier?  We shall see!  I just hope he doesn't get too comfy in there because I'm not sure how much past September 19th I can make it!

I had my weekly OB visit on Wednesday (8/31) and was excited to talk to her because I had been feeling crampy all day.  It was a quick visit and she explained that it was normal at this point in pregnancy to feel cramps and that it did not mean that labor was imminent.  She then preformed an internal exam to see if the cramps were "working" and said they were because I was dilated to a two.  :)  Also, my blood pressure has risen a little bit in the last couple Dr.'s appointments and I've officially gained 20 lbs -- 7.5 which are Eli!

The next day Mike and I met at the perinatalogist for our final visit.  The doctor informed us that due to the size of Eli's right kidney he was pretty confident that Eli would need surgery after birth to correct an obstruction in his ureter.  I was hoping and praying that Eli wouldn't need surgery but I was ready to hear that he would.  Since our 24 week check up sonogram (we went in hoping for the best and left incredibly let down) I've tried to be positve yet realistic.  This has helped considering each sonogram his condition has gotten worse and worse.  Eli's kidney is now 19mm and an average size is about 5mm.  Poor little guy!  After we found out that he would, most likely, need surgery I called my mom and was a little chocked up.  Of course, she was devasted as well but offered that positive advice that everyone tends to do, "Aren't we so lucky they can catch this early before anything were to go really wrong?" or "Well, thank God it isn't a life threatening condition."  And, I know there are mothers out there that wished their child only had plumbing issues and God bless them because I don't know what I'd do if Eli's condition were life threatening.  However, sometimes I just want someone to say, "I'm so sorry Alison it really sucks that your infant son is going to have to have surgery."  I know this may sound like wo is me but it does suck!  Everyone always says they don't care whether their baby is a boy or girl, they just want it to be healthy.  Well, mine's not (entirely) and God has been so good to us but knowing he'll probably have to be under the knife at such a young age is scary and I feel so bad for him.  Well, thanks for listening to me grumble (I hate not being positive but I'm being honest) and I hope I didn't offend anyone. 

On a more positive note, the weather has been fabulous in KC and we've been able to keep our windows open -- how glorious!  Sammie is enjoying actually being able to be outside for more than a minute or two.  Mike is thrilled about the weather as well -- he loves the fall and is so excited about football season which brings me to mention that him and I went to a couple of our youth group boys' football game on Friday.  I was only able to make it through half time because sitting has become so uncomfortable but it was a good time.  I'm excited to see Eli lay on Mike's chest while watching the Cheifs play this fall.  We bought him a couple of Cheifs onesies and decided it would be good to raise him routing for the Cheifs since they are a local team (even though Mike's allegiance is to the Redskins and mine is to the Bears). 

On Saturday I woke up feeling pretty cruddy.  Runny nose, sore throat, and an overall achiness.  At first I thought it could be allergies with the season change but by Monday I was really feeling sick.  What kind of cruel joke is this?  38 weeks pregnant and sick?!?!  I felt so bad knowing that this could very likely be our last weekend without Eli and I was not in the condition to get anything accomplished.  I really wasn't even in the mood to hang out.  I hated missing my family getting together on Monday but knowing that our next get together will include our son is exciting!  Mike took extra good care of me on Monday and, bless his heart, stayed in bed with me most of the day.  I was/am a little concerned that if Eli comes and I am sick I won't be able to cuddle and kiss him freely like I would be able to like I would if I was completely well.  So, say your prayers that he stays in my belly until I am well.  Even better, pray that I am well tomorrow and he comes the day after.  :)  Hey, a girl can dream.

One thing we were able to get accomplished this weekend was the final finishing touches (really just some clean up) on Eli's Nursery.  See pics below.  I'm so excited to introduce him to it -- there is so much love in this room -- I'm know he'll feel it when he gets here.





Up close pic of Eli's family wall.  It includes of us, grandparents, aunts and uncles.

Eli's treasure wall -- has pics of all of his great-grandparents and other sentimental stuff.

Great-grandpa Bennett restored this.

Mike found this for $7 at Wild Child in LS -- what a score!

How adorable -- my BF Katrina gave this to us -- can't wait to fill it in!

Eli's Oma and Opa got this glider for us -- can't wait to rock Eli in it!

Sammie enjoys checking out Eli's room!  She is so excited to be a big sis!


Today was back to school and I feel a little bit better than I did yesterday.  My kids were excited to remove three rings from our Baby Stephens Count Down -  only 13 left after the long weekend.  :)  Also, I'm proud to announce that I took the plunge and cut 5-6 inches off my hair!  Can't believe I had the guts to do it -- I've been pretty attached to my long blonde hair the last 5 years or so and it feels good to have something a little different.  It is still really cute -- best of all, Mike agrees.  It surely will take a few minutes off of the time I spend blow drying my locks each day -- which was my motivation. 

Other thoughts this week:

I've been really missing my grandma (who died in November of last year) lately.  It is really hard for me to think Eli will never meet her.  She was such a huge part of my life and I know she would have given my son the incredible amount of love that she gave me through out my life if she were still here.  Everyone deserves to have the BEST grandma in the world and I was lucky to have just that.  I know Eli has 1 grandma and 2 oma's who already love him so much -- what a lucky little guy!  Speaking of oma -- we are so excited that Mike's parents (AKA Oma and Opa to Eli) will be coming to visit in October!  They are so excited and we couldn't be more thrilled!  Mike is taking the week off and it will be a blast to have them in town with Eli being the center of attention! 

Baby Milestones this Week:  He may have about an inch or so of hair already -- red or blonde? (or maybe even brown if he takes after his grandma's).  He's slowly shedding that white goo on his skin (called vernix caseosa) but we might see some of it at his birth.

Best Moment of the Week:  Getting to see our maternity pictures!  They are A-MAZING!  Check them out yourself at:

http://www.leighmillerphotography.com/blog/2011/09/01/mike-and-ali/

Also, speaking with our neice and nephew on the phone!  They are so cute and sweet.  And, they are excited to meet their little cousin Eli come Christmas!

Obsession this Week:  Mike says that my obsession this week was complaining about how uncomfortable I was.  Unfortunately for him, this is true.  I have done my fair share of complaining due to the increasing pain I've been in.  I have to admit I'm ready not to be pregnant. 

Symptoms this Week:  Menstral-like cramps and I hope this isn't TMI but I did lose my mucus plus Friday at school.  Kinda gross but I think this is a good sign that my body is preparing for labor -- hopefully and healthy vaginal one!  And, fingers crossed, a quick one too!

What I'm looking forward to most next week: Um, can I say Eli???  I hope this doesn't jinx me but if he decided to come a week or so early I won't complain!  Otherwise, I look forward to the weekend -- relaxing and snuggling with Mike and Sam.  To tell the truth, I'm taking it not by weeks anymore but by days -- one day at a time. 

P.S. -- We've had 2,320 views on our blog (almost every state and 5 different countries) but not many comments.  If you're a regular read, I'd love to hear your thoughts and any encouragement as my pregnancy draws near to the end if you feel so led!

38 Week Belly Pics:

Can I say HUGE?!?!

7 comments:

  1. Love your blog. I am so sorry to hear about Eli's kidney. That does suck and you have every right to be upset. I know God will provide and take care of him and you and daddy. Eli's room is so cute! Good job! Can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Major suck-fest Ali, I am so sorry to hear about the rough stuff. Eli sure is lucky to have parents who love him so much, his room is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair!!!! How cute! Love!.......I'm thinking Eli will have red hair!!! ;) love, lib

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ali, you look beautiful! Eli is so lucky to have you and Mike for parents. I will be thinking of you and praying for little Eli in the next couple days/weeks and for his probable surgery. You have every right to be nervous, but everything will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe this will be your last blog. How I have enjoyed reading it. You are going to be an awesome mommy who will make many wonderful memories. This blog is part of those memories. God bless you, Mike, and precious Eli throughout your lives. I am so proud of you, Ali, and love you so much. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali - You are a beautiful pregnant woman! Eli is so blessed to have you and Mike as parents - and of course my sis and brother-in-law as grandparents and lib and david as aunt and uncle!! There - Anyway, much love to you. Praying Eli will arrive soon. Continually praying for Eli with his kidney situation.
    love, Aunt Margot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pregnancy pics!!! Love them.

    ReplyDelete