Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Thirty Four 8.3 - 8.9 AND Thirty Five Weeks 8.10 - 8.16

Well, my aspirations of getting back to weekly posts have not come to fruition (as you can tell) -- and, if I'm being at all honest, I'm not sure they will!  After being at work all day it is hard for me to get motivated to do anything -- even if it is blogging about my pregnancy and precious son (who is going to be here before I know it -- 32 days to be exact!). 

That being said, this blog post is going to be short and sweet.  :)  The last couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of baby activities -- starting with our monthly perinatalogist appointment.  And, at 33 weeks 3 days Eli weighed 5lbs and 13oz -- 2.5 weeks ahead of schedule!  He's going to be a BIG boy like his daddy!  And, his head is 3.5 weeks ahead of schedule -- lucky me right?  Ha!  Hopefully his growth will slow a little towards the end of my pregnancy so I can have a healthy vaginal birth!  Say your prayers!

Mike and I attended the Healthy Arrivals Child Birth Class on 8/6.  It was an all day class.  I was a little worried that I would be the biggest pregnant woman there but most of the women were due before me!  We learned quite a bit about labor and delivery.  And, we both agree that child birth is a beautiful event.  However, the videos were quite something.  The women were in such agonizing pain during labor!  It made me rethink my, "If I can do it, I'll forgo the epidural."  I still have a goal of making it to 4-5cm before asking for an epidural.  Mike agrees and he is prepared to help me through laboring pains.  The class was almost more geared toward the coaches than the women.  Mike was incredibly thoughtful and took notes most of the time!  :)  If his perfectionism runs over into his role as "labor coach" I'll be one happy woman!

Wednesday, August 10th was my first day back to work as well as our Baby Basics class.  It was very nice to spend some time with my social studies department -- they are great people.  But, it is hard for me to "check in" to school.  Usually, I anticipate the beginning of the school year and spend lots of time thinking about how I can set up my room, make better lessons, and get to know my students.  This year is very different.  I've spent all summer thinking and preparing for Eli that I can't seem to think about anything else.  Hopefully, this is normal for new moms.  I mean, this is a HUGE life change.  And, so EXCITING!  (Now, that I've been back for nearly two weeks, it is a little bit better and I stay busy at school thinking about school stuff.)  Our Baby Basics class was informative and I loved our instructor.  She and I share the same philosophy about caring for infants -- you can't spoil them! 

The following Sunday our church threw me the most lovely baby shower!  I feel so blessed to have a church family that cares so much and is so excited to welcome Eli into the world!  Again, I was overcome with the generousity of the guests and loved all their gifts!  I can't wait to wrap Eli in all of the homemade blankets we received!  Oh, and the games were super fun and the cake super tasty!
The food was yummy, especially the cake!  And, if you didn't know this about me -- I'm a fool for punch!

Fun decor and lots a great gifts!  Thank you Outreach women, and especially Elyse and Marcia for hosting this!

I was posing for the guests to guess how many inches my waistline is! 


42 inches baby!  When I got home, Mike guessed 57 - ha!  I'm not having triplets!

How cute is this cake!  We got to take almost half of it home and Mike and I enjoyed it for a whole week!  :)



My mother came over this week to help me cook and freeze some meals for when Eli arrives and we come home.  She is so awesome and I am so blessed to have her.

Baby Milestones these Weeks: Week 34:  Eli can recognize and react to simple songs...time to start practicing my lullabies! In fact, he will recognize frequently sung tunes after birth and probably find them soothing. Less cute news: he now urinates about one pint per day. Get the diapers ready!  Week 35: From now on, Eli's growth is mostly in the plumping up department -- though he won't get much longer, he'll put on a pound or more of baby fat before birth. (He's about 15 percent right now and will be about 30 percent by full-term.) His hearing is totally developed and his testes have probably completed their descent.  :)

Best Moment of these Weeks: The wonderful shower my church threw me and all the practical and precious advice that was given during it by the women who attended!  Thank you all!

Obsession of these Weeks:  Bathing in our jetted tub!  Thank God I convinced Mike to buy it during our home renovation.

Symptoms these Weeks: Lack of sleep, and lots and lots of rib pain.  Not sure if this is from Eli's constant jabs or my ribs having to expand to fit baby.  Whatever it is -- it sure is painful!

Epiphany these Weeks: I think Sammie must know I'm pregnant.  She follows me everywhere and constantly wants to be next to me -- even when Mike is around.  Usually, she prefers to snuggle with Mike but not anymore.  I know dogs can sense things and I wonder if this is what is happening with Sam.  She must already love Eli.  I can't wait to see how the interact together when he gets a little older!

What I'm looking forward to most next week:  Can't decide.  On Tuesday, Mike and I have our maternity photo shoot.  Mike's co-workers wife is a wonderful photographer and she graciously offered to do our maternity photos.  Her work is amazing!  Check out her work at: http://www.leighmillerphotography.com/

And, Mike's work is throwing us a shower on Thursday, August 25th!  How thoughtful!  I'm excited to meet some of his coworkers and celebrate with them!  (Shower number four -- we are so blessed!)

35 Week Belly Pics:


A friend of mine from SLMS, Heather, gave me this shirt!  How funny -- and true!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment