Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Friday, June 17, 2011

Twenty Six Weeks: 6.8 - 6.14

As I approach the end of my first trimester I am feeling more and more anxious (good and bad) about the arrival Eli Michael.  I know I've said this before but lately the feelings have intensified; a large part of me is so excited to finally meet my son.  To see his precious face, to give him lots of hugs and kisses, to cuddle and hold him, to breastfeed him, to nurture and to love him.  However, a smaller (and more selfish) portion of me is not wanting to give up my life as I know it.  The Friday nights spent on the couch with Mike, the shopping dates with Libby, the mid-afternoon visits to my parents house, the fact the Sammie sleeps next to me every night, the on-the-fly dinner with friends...  Don't get me wrong: I know that Eli will bring an amount of love to my life that I didn't even know I could have (he already has) and I'm so excited for his "birth" day.  I'm just hoping that the next three months are filled with all the things I mentioned above and that Mike and I never forget what it was like when it was just the two of us. 

Lots of stuff happening this week.

1.  On Saturday, Mike and I painted Eli's room the cutest sky blue.  I love it!  It compliments his bedding set quite well.  By the way, Mike and I compromised on Eli's bedding.  I wanted something bright with cute animals.  Mike was set on a sports theme and he leaned more towards neutral colors.  So we ended up with a bright, sports themed room.  We both adore it and the other day Mike said, "Did you shut Eli's door?"  It truly has become his room.


In progress.  Mike rolled and I trimmed -- we're a good team!



Finished product.  :) I will post more pictures of the nursery when it is complete.
 
2.  Over the weekend I signed us up for three classes given at our hospital:

a. Childbirth Preparation - consists of two consecutive Saturday session 4 hours each.  Mike and I are signed up to go Saturday, August 6th and 13th.  Hopefully we aren't pushing it to close to Eli's due date which is September 19th.  ???

b. Baby Basics 101 - consists of one 3 hour session.  We are signed up for the evening of Wednesday, August 10th.  I'm guessing this class will focus on diapering, burping, infant CPR, etc.

c. Breastfeeding - consists of one 2.5 hour class that we will be attending on Monday, August 22nd.  I'm very excited about this class.  Breastfeeding is something that I'm very much looking forward to.  I know it is a lot of hard work but I'm up for the challenge.  I've made a commitment to myself and Eli that I will do whatever it takes to breastfeed him for at least a year.  Mike is very supportive and I can't wait for the bond that will develop between Eli and myself.  Breast is BEST!

3.  On Sunday, Mike and I registered at Babies 'R Us.  We are so blessed to already have been given so much.  Before we went we felt like, what else could we possibly need?  Boy, were we wrong!  Babies 'R Us has a list of things you will need for your baby and man-o-man is it long!  This is why the baby industry makes billions of dollars a year.  Do we really need things like wiper warmers or 10 different types of rattles?  Probably not.  How did our grandparents survive with out all the neat gadgets we have for our babies today?  I try to remind myself that Eli doesn't have to have everything to be a happy, healthy baby but it is hard not to get caught up in a store like Babies 'R Us and want to buy everything in front of you. :)  Even though we were really overwhelmed we enjoyed ourselves and look forward to seeing what we might get at our future showers.

4. On Monday we received a package in the mail from Mike's Oma addressed to Eli Stephens.  This is his first official piece of mail!  Inside was the most adorable blanket that she made for Eli.  She wrote him the cutest little note telling him that she made it with much love and excitement and that she hopes it keeps him warm during his first winter.  Thank you so much Oma!  Eli is so blessed to have a great-grandma (and grandpa) who loves him so much.  I was blessed to have had my Great-Grandma Ockee until I was 18 and I have the warmest, fondest memories of her.  The love she gave me will resonate in my life forever and I know Eli will have similar thoughts of you!


How precious!

5. I had my Glucose Tolerance Test taken on Monday as well.  And, boy did it put me out!  Talk about a plunge in energy!  Sammie and I enjoyed a nice three hour nap afterwards.  Turns out I do NOT have gestational diabetes.  :)  However, my doctor forgot to have me test for anemia so I had to go back the next day.  Pricks in two different arms - boo!


Baby Milestones this Week: Eli's soaking up my antibodies, getting his immune system ready for life outside the womb. Eyes are forming, and he'll soon be practicing the blink...perfect for batting those freshly grown lashes.



Best Moment of the Week: Imagining Eli wrapped in the blanket his great-grandma AKA Oma "O" made for him!

Obsessions this Week:  Watching my stomach bounce around while Eli moves.  I may have said this before but, he can even move my laptop if I'm leaning it on my belly while working.  He is going to be a strong boy!

Symptoms this Week:  Heart burn!  I have never had heart burn before so I don't think I knew what I was experiencing the first couple of times I had it.  But, I've begun notice that after I eat (especially anything unhealthy) that I get this burning sensation in my upper chest and even towards my throat.  It isn't very pleasant.  However, I've heard the more heart burn you have the more hair the baby will have.  Not sure if this is true?  Anyone have a testimonial to share?

Epiphany this Week: Summertime and the livings easy.  Not!  I have been SO busy this summer!  I have not been able to check hardly anything off my summer to-do list.  My days seem to fill up so fast!  Hence the new blog song, Summertime Blues.

What I'm looking forward to most next week:  Celebrating Mike's first Daddy-to-Be Father's Day!  Not quite sure what we are doing but I want to make it special for him. 

Week 26 Belly Pics:

*** Make sure to scroll down and view week 25 Belly pics because they have now been added!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog!

    Eli is so blessed to have you and Mike. His room is so awesome.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, i tried to submit a comment before this one, and it didn't let me. :)

    Lib

    ReplyDelete