Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Twenty Four Weeks: 5.25 - 5.31

The last week of school for teachers is bitter-SWEET.  It is bitter because you are saying goodbye to a group of kids whom you have grown very close to.  You've watched them grow, learn and mature.  And, for 7th grade teachers you welcomed them into your classroom as children and you are watching them leave as  little adults.  It is SWEET (and, do notice that I capitalized sweet because it is more sweet than bitter) because for most educators you get the next 75 days of your life free from the stresses of teaching, free from waking up to an alarm, and free from any and all after school planning, grading, etc!  (Unfortunately, for me this won't become a reality until July 9th when sumer school is over). This year, like all other years, I became anxious.  I always feel a loss saying goodbye to my kids.  My intrinsic self questions such as whether or not I cheated my kids out of something they needed: better instruction, more one-on-one time, a closer relationship?  Then the last day of school, I read my year book which was filled with "You are the best SS teacher EVER!"  and "I will NEVER forget you!" and "You're class made me think about my choices." and "Good luck with your son!" And, I was relieved knowing that even though I could have done better-- as we always can -- I DID make a difference in my students' lives.  Mike and I plan on sending Eli to public schools.  I believe in public education.  My hope and prayer for Eli is that his teachers care more about him than they do their curriculum.  Teachers who genuinely care about their students are the best teachers. 

Week 24 ended with Memorial Day.  Mike and I would like to say thank you to all of our family members, friends, and everyone else who has served and is serving our country.  We understand that our freedom rests on your shoulders and are so grateful for your sacrifice.  Sunday we celebrated with my family at my sister and her husband's house in Grain Valley.  They made us a tasty taco supper and we enjoyed playing Wii bowling after dinner.  I won!  I think Eli must be a good luck charm for me!  Aunt Libby surprised us once again with more gifts for baby boy -- lots of cute onsies and even a couple pairs of shoes!  Then, on Monday morning Mike and I put together Eli's crib, dresser, and changing table.  The nursery makes this whole experience even more real.  :)  Later that day we went to my parents house for a cook out and then we took the dogs to Lone Jack lake for a little swim and boy-oh-boy did Sammie have the time of her life.  Can't wait to see Eli in his little life jacket!  But, I'm sure he's having fun wading around in his amniotic fluid for the time being!

I love the water! 

Thank God for life jackets!

Baby Milestones this Week: Eli's skin is becoming more opaque as the fat starts to pack on. And, thanks to the formation of small capillaries, his newly thick skin is taking on a fresh pink glow.

Best Moment of the Week: Well, after much anticipation, Mike finally felt little Eli kick!  It wasn't a huge kick but a kick it was!  Mike loves to talk to baby Eli and give him tummy kisses at night.  :)

But wait, what else could make the "best moment of the week," segment of my blog?  Mike's parents, who will be Opa and Oma to Eli, sent him LOTS of good stuff that arrived this week! (See all the goodies below!)  Wow!  Mike and I are floored by the generosity of his parents.  They are loving Eli so much already!  He's a lucky little guy!  We so wish we all lived closer.  Thank you Lord for the Stephens Family!


Thank you Oma and Opa, Love Eli  :)

Obsessions this Week: Wearing Mike's T's!  They may not be the most flattering but, oh my, are Mike's T-shirts so much more comfortable than my own right now!  I've even got a favorite that I've been wearing all week to bed -- which I'm wearing in this weeks belly pics!.  Glad he's okay with me stealing his clothes.  I just hope that I won't get to the point of borrowing his jeans or, God forbid, shoes!  Ha!

Symptoms this Week: Continued sacrum pain, leg cramps, and perhaps, the biggest symptom: a slightly uncontrollable appetite. :o)

Epiphany this Week:  Eli's got so many people who love him.  God is so good.

What I'm looking forward to most next week: Our check up ultrasound on Wednesday.  I guess I have mixed emotions about our appointment because I'm so excited to get to see him wiggle around in my belly again but I know the reason we have to go is because his little kidney could need some extra TLC after he is born.  Don't get me wrong, I've surprised myself on how positive I have been able to be the last 3 weeks.  I know God is in control and I know He has a perfect plan for Elijah, which by the way means 'God is Lord'.  Our hope is that we go in to our appointment and the doctor says, "His kidney is back to normal!" but I also am trying to be realistic that he could very well still have pyelectasis and it could possibly be worse.  Either way, we're deciding to trust in the awesome God we so love.

Week 24 Belly Pics:


No comments:

Post a Comment