Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Eighteen Weeks 4.12 - 4.19

What a week this has been!  Remember last week when I wrote that I thought spring was here to stay?  Yeah, well I was wrong.  It was 42 degrees when I left school today -- and drizzly to top it off.  This kind of weather always puts me in a melancholy mood and I don't feel like doing much of anything.  Blah.  Okay, I will quit being Debbie Downer now and start talking about the positive things that happened this week.  Here is a list:

1.  Small Mary Kay get together at my home; just my mom, sister and me. We enjoyed each other's company and got some good product for our aging faces!  I can't believe I am going to be 27 this summer! And, if you get close you can tell -- starting to regret all the hours I spent in the tanning booth as a teen.

2. Mike and I went to 54th Street Grill with Lindsey (student teacher on my team) and her hubby.  We had  a really good time and it is always fun to chat with teachers!  Only a fellow teacher truly knows everything that goes into teaching -- the good, the bad and the ugly! :) I am hoping to have her as my long term substitute for next year.  However, because she is such a good teacher she will probably get snatched up by a local district -- even during these hard times!  Speaking of my long term sub, my plan for next year is to take off until 2nd semester (1st week of January).  This means the baby will be about 3.5 months old when I return to school.  I am excited to have a whole 3 months with my baby but I know the time will fly and I know I will be devastated when I have to leave him or her.  I am very lucky though because my mother and father have graciously accepted to be full-time babysitters until I finish out the year.  Who better to take care of our baby if I can't?  THANK YOU mom and dad, you have no idea how much this means to Mike and I.

3.  Experienced Cadillac Flambe for the first time!  Our friends, Havila and Kris, are members of this band and we have wanted to see them for quite some time.  On Saturday they were in Lee's Summit helping to promote the opening of a new place down town.  It was a nice night to be outside and we especially enjoyed the music; I think the baby liked it too!  Thanks for inviting us guys!  :)




4.  Mike and I had the privilege to lead pre-worship on Sunday morning.  Of course, I cried.  I don't think I can speak in church with out crying -- kind of embarrassing and kind of humbling.   There is no better feeling than serving the Lord side-by-side with your husband.  My prayer is that before the baby arrives Mike and I can grow as close to Lord and each other as possible.

Baby Milestones this Week: Baby's become amazingly mobile, passing the hours yawning, hiccupping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking, and swallowing. I can even feel him or her like little taps in my lower abdomen -- makes me smile every time!



Best Moment of the Week:  Change up.  It is fun to talk about the best moment of the each week but this week I'm going to tell you about the worst moment of the week, and pregnancy so far.  So, here it goes: On Wednesday as I was getting dressed I noticed a tick sunken into my arm, yuk right? Okay, so I grew up on 13 acres and have had several ticks feasting on my blood each summer since I can remember.  But, I've never been pregnant while hosting one of them.  And, to say the least, when I saw the little thing I FREAKED out.  I cried out for Mike, who was sleeping at the time, and kept yelling, "Get it out, get it out!"  After a minute or so of Mike unsuccessfully trying to extract the tick I couldn't take it anymore and ran to the bathroom for some tweezers.  Finally, we got the darn thing out of my arm, BUT its head was still embedded in my skin -- gross, huh?  I went to the nurse when I got to school and she tried to pick it out with a needle but wasn't able to get it all -- the little sucker got deep!  I then did some research and found several studies that showed many terrible outcomes for pregnant women with Lyme Disease.  I called my OB who instructed my to call my General -- who happened to have no available appointments that day.  I felt hopeless and went back to the nurse in tears.  I did make it to the doctor that day.  She took a look at my bite and sent me one my way saying there had been no recorded incidents of Lyme in MO for over a year -- which made me feel better but still unsure.  I then called the Jackson County Health Department to see if they tested ticks for diseases.  They informed me that MO is one of the only states that doesn't test ticks.  :(  I researched the type of tick I hosted (we kept it) which happened to be a Lone Star tick and found out that this particular tick does not carry Lyme but several other diseases similar to Lyme.  Sigh.  It could take up to 3 weeks to get symptoms for these diseases.  I currently feel like I am playing the "waiting" game.  I want to be an advocate for mine and my child's health; I feel like I have done what I can and now I am just trying to trust in the Lord.  Please say a prayer for me and baby -- for our health and my peace of mind.

Obsessions of the Week:  None pregnancy related but I have had fun following mommies on twitter! I use the application Tweet Deck and have a column that I created specifically for mommy-related followings.  I especially like "Moms Who Save" and "Bargain Brianna." 

Symptoms this Week:  I've heard this symptom is called Pregancy Amnesia and Pregnancy Brain.  Whatever it is called -- I've got it!  This week I lost my keys several times and forgot to sign in at school several days!  In fact, one day I got home, let Sammie out and hung out for a few minutes.  I then decided that I needed to run a few errands so I went to the place where I always leave my keys -- the key hook.  My keys were not there so I began to look in the normal places keys usually hide out: the counter, my coat, the bench.  Nope, Nope and Nope.  After two hours of searching I found them in Mike's bathroom drawer.  Seriously?  That means I got home, went straight to the bathroom where I placed my keys in my husbands drawer and continued on with out conciously thinking about my action.  Wow, I am losing my mind! 

Epiphany this Week: Our crib came in this week and now we officially have all of the big ticket items for our nursery.  Now we just need to know pink or blue?  I can't believe that in 3 weeks we will know the gender of our baby!  Which means it is crunch time when it comes to name picking!  We have a few names that we like but haven't made our official decision and are still pretty much up in the air about our boys names.  All we know that if the baby is a girl her middle name will be Angell which is my maiden name and if the baby is a boy his middle name will be Michael after guess who?  :) 

18 Week Belly Pics: 

1 comment:

  1. I think you've always had pregnancy brain with losing your keys! ha! :) I can't wait for you to find out boy or girl, then, aunt libby can really do some fun and crazy shopping. btw, i love your bump--it's getting bigger, baby! xoxo

    ReplyDelete