Stephens Family

Stephens Family

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Day We Found Out.

January 10th 2011.  The BEST DAY EVER.

It all started when I (Ali) woke up and got into the shower.  During my daily routine I noticed a tingling in my lip and immediately I knew I was going to have a big, gross cold sore make its way to the surface with in a day or so.  As you can imagine this caused me much frustration.  To make matters worse, it was Monday and my school had a scheduled teacher in service on Friday -- I was going to have to face my faculty with a (like I previously said) big, gross cold sore.  Yuk!  How embarrassing!  I got out of shower and, of course, wanted to tell Mike about my dilemma.  He tried to be sympathetic but was too tired to listen.  So, I called my next confidant -- my mother.  As I was telling her my sob story, she informed me that my school district had declared it a snow day.  This made me feel a little bit better.  I let her go and decided to go back to sleep.  However, I was so worked up that I couldn't sleep.

That is when I remembered!  In my previous research -- I was a little obsessed at browsing through "two week wait symptoms" on the Internet -- I saw that several women posted that one of their early signs of pregnancy was the appearance of a cold sore.  I wasn't hopeful, because I had been so many times in the past to no avail, but I decided to go ahead and take the one pregnancy test we had left.  I snuck into the bathroom and peed on the stick.  As I watched the test in action, I couldn't see any line appearing.  However, I continued to watch -- and then, to my amazement I could see a very faint line appear.  I closed my eyes and looked again.  It was still there!  I immediately started jumping up and down and giggling almost uncontrollably.  :) 



                                          *Look hard - there IS a second line, just very faint!  :)
                                                 
Mike was awake by this time and had decided to work from home because of the inclement weather.  For a second, I debated whether on telling him right then or trying to think of some creative way to inform him he was going to be a daddy!  That didn't last long because I was so excited and there was no way I could wait.  So, I walked into the office and said, "We are having a baby in September!"  He was like, "Really?"  I gave him a nod and he stood up and gave me a big hug.  He put his hands on my belly and prayed for our little one. 

I was very excited to tell my parents but wanted to do it face to face.  It was a bummer that the weather was so bad or we would have driven out to their house at once.  I knew I had to think up a plan.  I called and asked them to come in and meet us for lunch.  My mother was not very keen to the idea so I asked to speak to my father (who is a little more easy going).  My dad wasn't so sure either -- I had to give him some incentive -- so I told him that he wouldn't regret meeting us.  He immediately guessed I was pregnant.  I told him I wasn't going to say anything and to please not say anything to mom.  He agreed to come in to Lee's Summit and meet us at 54th Street for lunch.

I had a couple of hours to devise a creative plan to share the good news with my parents.  In the mean time I had a dermatology appointment.  While I was gone -- unbeknownst to me -- Mike called and told his mom and dad.  I would have loved to have been there to hear their reactions but it makes me feel good that he was so excited to share our pregnancy with his parents that he just couldn't wait.  When I arrived home he told me that they were both SOO excited for us!  I began to work up my plan.  I drew up a fun picture and placed it in a professional portfolio...and informed Mike on how we were going to break the news.  I knew my dad already had an inkling that we were going to tell them we were pregnant so our plan was to throw them off.



We met my parents at 54th Street and my dad had a big smile on his face!  When we had been sitting for a few minutes Mike and I told them that we were going to explain why we wanted to meet them for lunch on a day like it was (snow, snow and more snow).    Mike told my parents that his company (Euronet World Wide) had offered him a significant raise if we were to relocate to Great Britain for 18 months.  He continued to explain that his company would rent our home for us and pay for the relocation.  I could see my dad was a little disappointed but they both seemed to be happy for us.  We put the portfolio infront of them and told them that the contract and details were inside.  When my mother opened it up there was the picture I drew along with the positive pregnancy test.  She immediately started to cry and my dad couldn't stop smiling.  We had a great rest of our lunch and had fun talking about baby stuff.






That day we also announced the good news to my sister and brother-in-law and Mike's brothers and sister-in-law.  They were all soo excited for us! 

Oh, and if you were wondering the cold sore never made its grand appearance.  So, I like to believe it was God's way of prompting me to go ahead and take the test!

No comments:

Post a Comment